Calvert, TX 5/02/2018

Calvert just celebrated its 150th Anniversary.  We were unable to attend the celebration but came back to tour the town anyway.   We found a great number of Victorian homes which we greatly enjoyed.

Excerpt from Texas State Historical Assn:
Calvert is on State Highway 6 nine miles north of Hearne in west central Robertson County. In 1850 Robert Calvert, for whom the town was named, established a plantation west of the town site. Calvert and other area farmers urged the Houston and Texas Central Railway to build through the area; the railroad arrived in 1868. A group of investors purchased land at the town site and platted the community in January of that year, and by February merchants from nearby communities such as Sterling and Owensville were moving to the new town.

A post office also opened at the community in 1868. The first trains arrived there in 1869. As a rail center and as county seat, Calvert prospered. In 1873 a severe yellow fever epidemic killed many in the community.

Texas Historic Site Atlas

Early in the 1870s, Calvert was notified that it was to become the county seat of Robertson County. June 1, 1875, A. Groesbeck and F.A. Rice, trustees of a parcel of Houston and Texas Central Railroad land transferred the land to Robertson County for use as a courthouse site. The same day, plans and specifications for the courthouse were accepted by the county. The architect was W.T. Ingraham of St. Louis, Missouri.

Shortly before the courthouse was completed. Franklin was named the county seat,  and Calvert was left with a useless building. In 1885, however, Robert A. Brown, merchant, investor, and banker, saw other possibilities for the courthouse: December 1,  he purchased the building from A. Faulkner and converted it into a handsome house.

New sign invites you to visit.

Mural in need of restoration. We parked here to begin our planned three mile walk around town.

Fancher-Drennan-Cobb House erected in 1885.

Collat-Hucks House is an 1892 Victorian.

Eastlake Cottage erected in 1897.

Epiphany Episcopal is a Gothic style church erected in 1870.

Faulkner-Proctor-Casey House built in 1873.

Proctor House circa 1905

Randolph-Field House built in 1873.

Parish House – Queen Anne Style – currently undergoing restoration.

Parish Carriage House.

This was to be the Robertson County Courthouse, It is currently the Ingraham Castle Bed & Breakfast.

Ingraham Castle gazebo.

Carriage house for the Ingraham Castle

Old town bell put on display in time for 150 year celebration.

Town Clock (isn’t working).

Current City Hall was built in 1868 by James S. Hanna, for a general store.

Victorian commercial building curently vacant.

Former Cocoamoda Chocolate Boutique is now Double Z Old General Store.

Built in 1884 for Collat, Adoue & Risser Dry Goods store.

Eloria Theater is now an antique store.

Statue of Liberty guards the entrance to the old theater.

Across the street from the old theater are three buildings worth noting.

1879 Oscar Building – currently vacant.

Cobbs Market was built in 1868 and remodeled in 1878.

1877 Oscar building was built as a saloon.

Pierce Lodge #144 A.F. & A.M. Bottom floor currently vacant.

Permanent cyclist

These three building brightly painted are the home of “Cowboy Up Ranch Furniture”.

Three story hotel – currently vacant.

Former Calvert Hotel erected in 1872.

Lovely old City Hall going to ruin.  Cornerstone doesn’t give the date it was built.

Could not find any information of this one.

No information on this one either.

First Baptist Church erected in 1910.

Mausoleum for Samuel S. Whitemore (Mason) is the only one in Calvert City Cemetery.

Angel on the marker for Victoria Field.

Angle on the left is on the grave of Mary Drennan. The one on the right is for Adelaide Westall.

G.G. Saurenman

Stricker-Sneed-Gray House is a Victorian built in 1900.

Yard of the Stricker-Sneed-Gray House.

Virginia Field Park – Open green space with large gazebo, two small pavilions, and a vintage merry-go-round.

In 1909, the architectural craftsman-style Katy Hamman-Stricker Women’s Heritage Center was built in Calvert as the first AWL chapter house in Texas.

Brick Methodist Church erected in 1923.

Mistrot-Adoue-McCrary House is a mixture of Greek revival and Victorian styles.

Marx House is a one story Victorian.

First Presbyterian Church moved here from the town of Sterling.

We entered the park this time to check out  the dance pavilion.

Inside of the dance pavilion is two rows of seating.

Small pavilion next to the vintage merry-go-round.  

Clara Barton home – Classic Revival – 1909.

Late 19th century residence on the National Register of Historic Places.

Cooper-Allen-Dowell House built in 1897

Victorian frame residence was ordered prefabricated from Sears.

Drennan-Field-Doremus House – with two story tower over the entrance.

Drennan-Doremus-Burnitt House erected in 1870.

Gibson House is a combination of Colonial Revival and Victorian styles.

Another nice one with no information.

Joe Foster-Johnson House is currently undergoing a total rebuild.

Dunn House – late Victorian – listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Advertisements

Sherwood Forest Faire – McDade, TX – 04/07/2018

The Sherwood Forest Faire is a medieval-themed extravaganza located near McDade. It is located 35 miles east of Austin. It will be open on weekends from March-April. There is a medieval village with shops, stages, and food booths. Fun begins before you even get in the gates.

Atop the castle walls.

A nice shield.

One of the kings.

Another one of the kings.

Queen and Bishop

Once inside the gates we saw this strange bird.

Posted map of the village so you can find the stages.

One of the shops.

Sitting in a big chair.

A costume for sale.

A minstrel performance

Talking to Will Scarlet.

Robin Hood

Play in progress.

Stonehenge

Three Rotten Tomatoes for $5.00

The target for the tomatoes if you have a good throwing arm.

Knight in Shining Armor

Another neat costume.

Archery shop.

Cute skeleton.

Falconry area

There is the bird again.

Sheriff of Nottingham.

A Kookaburra

Falcon

Owl

Recalcitrant owl wouldn’t come down.

Another photo cutout

Huge chess game.

Another photo cutout.

Castle gates.

Another castle.

More nice costumes.

Musicians performing.

Draco guarding the wishing well.

Presidio de San Saba – Menard, TX 3/31/2018

​The Presidio de San Saba is located one mile west of Menard, Texas on Hwy 190. Founded in 1757, it was operated by the Colonial Spanish Army until it was abandoned in 1772 by order of the Viceroy of New Spain.

There is no admission charge and visitors are welcome to a self guided tour 365 days a year.  Phase one of the current restoration was started in 2011 with a grant from the Texas Historical Commission. There are more phases to come as soon as there are funds available.  Menard County is the owner of the Presidio de San Saba and maintains the grounds.

Lampasas, TX – 03/14/2018

Lampasas is the county seat of Lampasas County.  It is at the junction of Hwy 183 & Hwy 281.  It is 69 miles NW of Austin on Hwy 183.  We visited to check out there many murals, sculpture garden and historic buildings.

“Patriot Mural” – The mural depicts community pride in active duty military, veterans and first responders who maintain our safety and freedom.

“Stagecoach to Lampasas” on the side of the Country Kitchen Restaurant.

Mural painted on the front windows of Cutters Western Wear.

Small part of the 70′ mural entitled “Small Town…Big Sound”

Door of First Baptist Church.

“Cruisin’ Key” – Mural brings back cherished memories of small town Lampasas.

1902 Queen Anne Style Cottage

“Farmer’s Market” decorates a vacant building.

This mural is dedicated to the land owners, sportsmen and women of Lampasas County who continue to manage, preserve and protect wildlife for future generations.

Building on the end is an Italianate Style building and is home to Blue Star Jewelers.

These four building were built in 1880. They are of equal height and have the same decorative metal cornices.

Afternoon on a Texas Ranch – by Ethel Edwards. This mural is a WPA mural from 1939. It currently adorns City Hall.

Perk’s New World Bakery

Built in 1884 by the First National Bank. This two story limestone and stucco building has rounded windows on the upper story.

The Phillips and Trosper buildings, constructed in 1884, are adjoining, almost identical, two-story limestone buildings.

The Harrison building was built in the 1880s and is one of the oldest structures on the west side of the square.

“May all your weeds be wildflowers!”

“Water is Life” fountain.

“Aspens and Moon” is a kinetic sculpture that moves in the wind.

This building was erected in 1915 as a post office. The post office moved to new location in 1938.

Historic hotel located diagonally across from the old Santa Fe train depot.

1930 Humble Gas Station – currently vacant.

In 1883 – Malone’s Wool Warehouse. In 1885 – Texas Trading Company. By 1913, the Lampasas Automobile Company was selling Ford Cars out of this building. In 1951 – Love Brothers Motor Company. The Ford dealership remained here until 1963. In 1964, the building was remodeled and housed a bowling alley. In 1966 Western Auto moved in with the Lampasas Bowl and the building was renovated once again. The building now houses Lampasas Hardware.

Part of the mural on the side of the hardware store.

After the nearby Gracy (now Keystone) Hotel was completed in 1870, it was decided to use the leftover stone for the construction of a “Little Hotel.”

Part of the “Postcard from Lampasas” mural.

Cowboy on the end of the “Postcard from Lampasas” mural.

#Hangin’ WithMyPeeps is a mural on the restrooms in W.M. Brook Park

Power house in the park has also been decorated.

And the pump house.

Sulphur Creek suspension bridge erected in 1976 to celebrate the American Centennial.

“Patriotic Rose” asks us to buy plants.

85′ of wood fencing at the nursery has multicolored tulips with greenery.

Five larger than life flowers add color to the lawn in front of the Chamber of Commerce.

“Rolling Dancing Moon II” at National United Bank.

The following sculptures are in the Hanna Springs Sculpture garden.

Large steel sculpture dedicated in loving memory to Stephanie Leigh Gradel, daughter of longtime LAFTA supporters Robin and Robert Gradel.

“Current” by Jennifer Cannon

“Portal to the Springs” is another kinetic sculpture.

Stainless Steel and Granite abstract piece by Jim Huntington

“Meadow Dancers” – A free flowing, wind-activated kinetic sculpture.

Tractor and shredder painted artistically by the children of Lampasas.

“High Stakes Dice” by Chris Oldham and Judith McGinty.

“Chameleon” by Pascale Pryor and James Bauer.

“Music to my Ears” created by Terry Jones

One very large catfish made of metal and painted green is overflowing the pickup bed.

Four pillars of limestone dedicated to the Roman goddess of flowers.

Water lily with three pads around it. Below on the pedestal are cattails, fish, frogs, and turtles.

“Bird Totem” – Artist: Terrell Powell – Fabricated by Clark Corbin

“Octagon Alley” by Lampasas 6th Grade Art Students

Chair and couch with a colorful mosaic tile throw.

Mosaic Pegasus created by Carolann Haggard

“El Rey” by Tim Glover

“Matching Pair” by Dan Pogue.

Across the street from the sculpture garden is Cooper Springs Nature Park with walking trails.

Artistic metal gate entrance to Cooper Spring Nature Park.

In the pavement of the patio entrance to Cooper Spring Nature Park is a large butterfly.

FORT CLARK DAYS – Brackettville, TX 3/3/2018

Empty Saddle Statue

Army Tents set up


Apache Lipan dance demonstration. First they explained what was going to be performed.

The first demonstration was for the social dance. They invited people from the audience to join them.

The second demonstration was a warriors dance.



After the dancing finished we went to check out the camels.

About that time they gave a demonstration of the cannons.

Whitehead Memorial Museum – 03/02/2018

A museum complex located on two and a half acres.  It consists of nine buildings. Its thirteen exhibits with period artifacts, many from the 19th century, express the history of Val Verde County, Texas. The museum was established in 1962 and remains the only full time, public museum in Val Verde County. The mission of the museum is to preserve historical and tangible artifacts that reflect the early history, cultures, and economics of Del Rio and Val Verde County.

Hours of Operation:
Monday: CLOSED
Tuesday – Saturday: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday: 1:00pm – 5:00pm

Adults(18-55): $5.00
Seniors(55+): $4.00
Military(Must Show ID): $4.00
Youth(13-17): $3.00
Child(6-12): $2.00
5 & Under: FREE

We spent about an hour exploring the museum.  It was very interesting, but it needs some improvements in the way it displays its treasures.