Lampasas is the county seat of Lampasas County. It is at the junction of Hwy 183 & Hwy 281. It is 69 miles NW of Austin on Hwy 183. We visited to check out there many murals, sculpture garden and historic buildings.
“Patriot Mural” – The mural depicts community pride in active duty military, veterans and first responders who maintain our safety and freedom.
“Stagecoach to Lampasas” on the side of the Country Kitchen Restaurant.
Mural painted on the front windows of Cutters Western Wear.
Small part of the 70′ mural entitled “Small Town…Big Sound”
Door of First Baptist Church.
“Cruisin’ Key” – Mural brings back cherished memories of small town Lampasas.
1902 Queen Anne Style Cottage
“Farmer’s Market” decorates a vacant building.
This mural is dedicated to the land owners, sportsmen and women of Lampasas County who continue to manage, preserve and protect wildlife for future generations.
Building on the end is an Italianate Style building and is home to Blue Star Jewelers.
These four building were built in 1880. They are of equal height and have the same decorative metal cornices.
Afternoon on a Texas Ranch – by Ethel Edwards. This mural is a WPA mural from 1939. It currently adorns City Hall.
Perk’s New World Bakery
Built in 1884 by the First National Bank. This two story limestone and stucco building has rounded windows on the upper story.
The Phillips and Trosper buildings, constructed in 1884, are adjoining, almost identical, two-story limestone buildings.
The Harrison building was built in the 1880s and is one of the oldest structures on the west side of the square.
“May all your weeds be wildflowers!”
“Water is Life” fountain.
“Aspens and Moon” is a kinetic sculpture that moves in the wind.
This building was erected in 1915 as a post office. The post office moved to new location in 1938.
Historic hotel located diagonally across from the old Santa Fe train depot.
1930 Humble Gas Station – currently vacant.
In 1883 – Malone’s Wool Warehouse. In 1885 – Texas Trading Company. By 1913, the Lampasas Automobile Company was selling Ford Cars out of this building. In 1951 – Love Brothers Motor Company. The Ford dealership remained here until 1963. In 1964, the building was remodeled and housed a bowling alley. In 1966 Western Auto moved in with the Lampasas Bowl and the building was renovated once again. The building now houses Lampasas Hardware.
Part of the mural on the side of the hardware store.
After the nearby Gracy (now Keystone) Hotel was completed in 1870, it was decided to use the leftover stone for the construction of a “Little Hotel.”
Part of the “Postcard from Lampasas” mural.
Cowboy on the end of the “Postcard from Lampasas” mural.
#Hangin’ WithMyPeeps is a mural on the restrooms in W.M. Brook Park
Power house in the park has also been decorated.
And the pump house.
Sulphur Creek suspension bridge erected in 1976 to celebrate the American Centennial.
“Patriotic Rose” asks us to buy plants.
85′ of wood fencing at the nursery has multicolored tulips with greenery.
Five larger than life flowers add color to the lawn in front of the Chamber of Commerce.
“Rolling Dancing Moon II” at National United Bank.
The following sculptures are in the Hanna Springs Sculpture garden.
Large steel sculpture dedicated in loving memory to Stephanie Leigh Gradel, daughter of longtime LAFTA supporters Robin and Robert Gradel.
“Current” by Jennifer Cannon
“Portal to the Springs” is another kinetic sculpture.
Stainless Steel and Granite abstract piece by Jim Huntington
“Meadow Dancers” – A free flowing, wind-activated kinetic sculpture.
Tractor and shredder painted artistically by the children of Lampasas.
“High Stakes Dice” by Chris Oldham and Judith McGinty.
“Chameleon” by Pascale Pryor and James Bauer.
“Music to my Ears” created by Terry Jones
One very large catfish made of metal and painted green is overflowing the pickup bed.
Four pillars of limestone dedicated to the Roman goddess of flowers.
Water lily with three pads around it. Below on the pedestal are cattails, fish, frogs, and turtles.
“Bird Totem” – Artist: Terrell Powell – Fabricated by Clark Corbin
“Octagon Alley” by Lampasas 6th Grade Art Students
Chair and couch with a colorful mosaic tile throw.
Mosaic Pegasus created by Carolann Haggard
“El Rey” by Tim Glover
“Matching Pair” by Dan Pogue.
Across the street from the sculpture garden is Cooper Springs Nature Park with walking trails.
Artistic metal gate entrance to Cooper Spring Nature Park.
In the pavement of the patio entrance to Cooper Spring Nature Park is a large butterfly.