Calvert just celebrated its 150th Anniversary. We were unable to attend the celebration but came back to tour the town anyway. We found a great number of Victorian homes which we greatly enjoyed.
Excerpt from Texas State Historical Assn:
Calvert is on State Highway 6 nine miles north of Hearne in west central Robertson County. In 1850 Robert Calvert, for whom the town was named, established a plantation west of the town site. Calvert and other area farmers urged the Houston and Texas Central Railway to build through the area; the railroad arrived in 1868. A group of investors purchased land at the town site and platted the community in January of that year, and by February merchants from nearby communities such as Sterling and Owensville were moving to the new town.
A post office also opened at the community in 1868. The first trains arrived there in 1869. As a rail center and as county seat, Calvert prospered. In 1873 a severe yellow fever epidemic killed many in the community.
Texas Historic Site Atlas
Early in the 1870s, Calvert was notified that it was to become the county seat of Robertson County. June 1, 1875, A. Groesbeck and F.A. Rice, trustees of a parcel of Houston and Texas Central Railroad land transferred the land to Robertson County for use as a courthouse site. The same day, plans and specifications for the courthouse were accepted by the county. The architect was W.T. Ingraham of St. Louis, Missouri.
Shortly before the courthouse was completed. Franklin was named the county seat, and Calvert was left with a useless building. In 1885, however, Robert A. Brown, merchant, investor, and banker, saw other possibilities for the courthouse: December 1, he purchased the building from A. Faulkner and converted it into a handsome house.
New sign invites you to visit.
Mural in need of restoration. We parked here to begin our planned three mile walk around town.
Fancher-Drennan-Cobb House erected in 1885.
Collat-Hucks House is an 1892 Victorian.
Eastlake Cottage erected in 1897.
Epiphany Episcopal is a Gothic style church erected in 1870.
Faulkner-Proctor-Casey House built in 1873.
Proctor House circa 1905
Randolph-Field House built in 1873.
Parish House – Queen Anne Style – currently undergoing restoration.
Parish Carriage House.
This was to be the Robertson County Courthouse, It is currently the Ingraham Castle Bed & Breakfast.
Ingraham Castle gazebo.
Carriage house for the Ingraham Castle
Old town bell put on display in time for 150 year celebration.
Town Clock (isn’t working).
Current City Hall was built in 1868 by James S. Hanna, for a general store.
Victorian commercial building curently vacant.
Former Cocoamoda Chocolate Boutique is now Double Z Old General Store.
Built in 1884 for Collat, Adoue & Risser Dry Goods store.
Eloria Theater is now an antique store.
Statue of Liberty guards the entrance to the old theater.
Across the street from the old theater are three buildings worth noting.
1879 Oscar Building – currently vacant.
Cobbs Market was built in 1868 and remodeled in 1878.
1877 Oscar building was built as a saloon.
Pierce Lodge #144 A.F. & A.M. Bottom floor currently vacant.
These three building brightly painted are the home of “Cowboy Up Ranch Furniture”.
Three story hotel – currently vacant.
Former Calvert Hotel erected in 1872.
Lovely old City Hall going to ruin. Cornerstone doesn’t give the date it was built.
Could not find any information of this one.
No information on this one either.
First Baptist Church erected in 1910.
Mausoleum for Samuel S. Whitemore (Mason) is the only one in Calvert City Cemetery.
Angel on the marker for Victoria Field.
Angle on the left is on the grave of Mary Drennan. The one on the right is for Adelaide Westall.
Stricker-Sneed-Gray House is a Victorian built in 1900.
Yard of the Stricker-Sneed-Gray House.
Virginia Field Park – Open green space with large gazebo, two small pavilions, and a vintage merry-go-round.
In 1909, the architectural craftsman-style Katy Hamman-Stricker Women’s Heritage Center was built in Calvert as the first AWL chapter house in Texas.
Brick Methodist Church erected in 1923.
Mistrot-Adoue-McCrary House is a mixture of Greek revival and Victorian styles.
Marx House is a one story Victorian.
First Presbyterian Church moved here from the town of Sterling.
We entered the park this time to check out the dance pavilion.
Inside of the dance pavilion is two rows of seating.
Small pavilion next to the vintage merry-go-round.
Clara Barton home – Classic Revival – 1909.
Late 19th century residence on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cooper-Allen-Dowell House built in 1897
Victorian frame residence was ordered prefabricated from Sears.
Drennan-Field-Doremus House – with two story tower over the entrance.
Drennan-Doremus-Burnitt House erected in 1870.
Gibson House is a combination of Colonial Revival and Victorian styles.
Another nice one with no information.
Joe Foster-Johnson House is currently undergoing a total rebuild.
Dunn House – late Victorian – listed on the National Register of Historic Places.