In early 1932 a dam was built to control flooding of Pecan Bayou. In 1933 land bordering the new lake was bought to establish a State Park.
In 1933 the CWA began construction using local men who were part of the Emergency Conservation Work Program. In 1934 CCC Company 872 arrived to continue the work. They stayed a year and then in 1936 CCC Company 849 arrived to take up the work. They remained until 1942 when the work was complete. We were interested in seeing the work done by the CCC.
The rock wall is our first look at the CCCs handiwork.
Steps on a hiking trail.
Resting on the climb up the steps.
All that is left of a rock bench.
CCC built recreation hall.
36th Division Memorial Monument.
Fish cleaning pavilion.
You can climb thetTower of the recreation hall for a great view of the lake.
Wall protecting people from cliff.
Fireplace inside the recreation hall.
Another example of walls the CCC built.
Another CCC plaque.
Looking at another wall.
Grand Stairway goes all the way to the lake.
Looking back up the Grand Staircase.
One of the 16 cabins the CCC built.
They have modernized the cabins with a new metal roof and air conditioning unit.