After walking around downtown we explored some sites further out by car.
In 2013 El Paso’s City Hall was demolished, making way for this new ballpark. The tower on the ballpark holds a clock.
Scottish Rite Temple – Gustavus A. Trost designed the three-story building which was completed in 1916.
The sphinxes that guard the entrance to the temple were cast in Perth Amboy, NJ, by the Federal-Seaboard Terra Cotta Company (which ceased to operate in 1968) and shipped to El Paso by truck. Each sphinx is 10 feet long and weighs 4,000 pounds. The official dedication took place at the Scottish Rite Reunion on October 20, 1966.
Across the street from the temple is a park with a statue of a cavalryman. (On front of base) is this inscription:
IN MEMORY OF WILLIAM CRAWFORD HARVIE 33 (degree symbol)
The Aztec Pavilion is a permanent installation commissioned by the City of El Paso, Texas with the assistance of a federal Renewable Energy Demonstration grant. The sculpture is composed entirely of CorTen steel and features ceiling rings intricately cut to form a copy of the Aztec Calendar. 9 solar panels collect energy to power AC outlets & lighting, returning unused power to the city grid. Educational signage near the structure provides an introduction to solar technology and a detailed description of how the pavilion works.
Old Bnai Zion Synagogue – Late Gothic Revival style temple built in 1912. It serve the Jewish community until it was sold in 1916 to provide funds for a new larger synagogue. Today the little temple is part of El Paso Community College’s Rio Grande Campus.
Saint Patrick Cathedral – Located downtown, the Cathedral is a work of art and it is one of El Paso’s historical landmarks. It is the seat of the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of El Paso.
First Baptist Church – Adobe Church built in 1906, was home to First Baptist Church for twenty years. It is now called Magoffin Hall and it is an event venue for meetings, weddings, quinceaneras, and more. It is owned and operated by Catholic Daughters of America.
Annunciation House is a flatiron building in the “Y” where Olive Ave and E. San Antonio Ave come together. It is listed as a contributing building in the National Register of Historical Places (NRHP) application for the Magoffin Historic District.
Another NRHP is the house at 912 Magoffin Avenue. It is a Queen Anne Style built in 1902. Red brick walls, elaborate architectural details, high pitched roof with a wraparound porch make it a distinctive design. The lot is surrounded by a decorative chest-high wrought iron fence.
Morrison House is another Victorian house. It is a two story, red brick house with prominent front gable wing and side gable wings. Queen Anne features include octagonal roof topped by a steep pitched octagonal turret, finial embellishments in roof crowns, and a shingle band at top of the porch.
Our last stop in El Paso was to see the Monastery of Perpetual Adoration. It is a designated Landmark building and its golden dome and arched Gothic dormers are visible from blocks away. Built in 1938 it is home to the Order of the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament.
We are now headed back East.