Sierra Blanca is the county seat of Hudspeth County, TX. We were passing through and slowed down long enough to look around.
United Methodist Church – Sanctuary was built in 1909 by the First Presbyterian Church. It is a lovely adobe building with gothic windows and a free standing bell tower.
Hudspeth County Courthouse – This is the last remaining courthouse in the State of Texas made of adobe. This building was constructed in 1919. The 18-inch wall thickness provides good thermal and acoustical insulation. High ceilings are typical of buildings designed for hot summer weather without modern air conditioning.
Southern Pacific Depot – Lovely two story depot from 1882. Now a railroad museum, it is the spot where the Southern Pacific and Texas Pacific met to create the 2nd Transcontinental rail line.
Next to the depot is an old Southern Pacific caboose.
State Theater – It was opened in 1952. It closed in the mid-1980’s. The movie house was built by Greg Morales and his wife. Now it is just a vacant adobe building waiting for someone to bring it back to life.