Odessa is the county seat of Ector County, TX. It is just next door to Midland. We stopped here to look around before continuing on.
A Stonehenge replica that is actually made from stone located on the campus of the University of Texas Permian Basin.
Nearby is a metal sculpture.
Grand Striptease – Bronze of an elongated figure of a young woman in the process of undressing located directly in front of the Ellen Noël Art Museum.
The World’s Largest Jackrabbit – This 8 foot tall fiberglass statue was dedicated in 1965. Listed as a Roadside Attraction, it is a great place to take a picture.
Ector Theater – This is a Art Modern style theater in a dark orange brick with a corner entrance. For 20 feet down the side and wrapping around the front is green granite with geometric designs. The Ector Theatre opened as a single screen in 1951. It closed in 1985. The city bought the building and it reopened as a theater in 2001.
First National Bank Building – The First National Bank building first opened in 1949. In 1960, the First National Bank would move to a tower at Seventh Street and Grant Avenue, ushering in nearly 14 years of vacancy for the building. In 1974, Clay Wood of Wood Oil Distributing bought the former bank. His employees, of various companies, would work there for nearly 30 years. In 2012 Jimmy and Nelda Rose purchased it and is remodeling it and leasing office space.
This mural is on the side of a currently vacant building near the Ector County Courthouse. The mural is 12 by 50 feet in area and has scenes from the area oilfields during the 1920’s and 1930’s time period.
Longhorn Statue – Standing some 10 foot tall, and made of welded steel, it portrays the strength, power and grace of the longhorn.
The Ector County’s third courthouse was a three story cement building erected in 1938. A remodel of the county’s third courthouse was completed in 1964. The modern addition of concrete and steel addition completely obscures all trace original building.
The mural “The Stampede” by Tom Lea was painted for the historic former post office building in Odessa, Texas. The work, which is listed online as being relocated to the city’s current post office, was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. When we went looking for it we were told it was back at the Ellen Noël Art Museum. We didn’t want to drive back, so we didn’t get to see it. They did have a historical marker at the new post office.
WPA Post Office – The historic former post office building was constructed in 1939 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building continues to fulfill civic purposes: it is now occupied by the Ector County Health Department.