We were in town doing a Volkamarching event that started at the CCC constructed Park Headquarters. While doing the walk we spotted this veteran’s memorial from an overlook so after we finished walking we drove around to visit it up close.
Fallen Soldier Memorial – Each item on display is from a different war.
Marble memorial erected in tribute to the 29 area men who lost their lives in the Vietnam war. Front of the memorial is a map of Vietnam and surrounding counties.
Back side of the memorial is a reminder that we lost many servicemen and don’t know if they are alive or dead.
The All Veteran’s Monument is 7-sided pylon with a brass logo on each side: Marine Corp, Navy, Merchant Marines, Coast Guard, Army and Air Force.
A UH-1H Huey MEDEVAC helicopter on static display in Big Spring’s Veteran’s Memorial Park.
Leaving the veteran’s memorial we went into town and visited the Howard County Courthouse. The current Howard County courthouse was built in 1953 in what has been referred to as “Soviet-style architecture.”
The cornerstone for the 1908 Howard County Courthouse (demolished in 1953) is preserved today on the grounds of the current courthouse as a pedestal for a tabletop.
The simple grey granite Howard County Veteran’s Memorial honors veterans of all wars on the courthouse lawn. In front of the memorial is
Civil war memorial on the courthouse lawn. From the courthouse we could view the Hotel Settles.
The Hotel Settles was once the finest hotel between Fort Worth and El Paso. This 1920’s era hotel closed its doors in 1980. After 30 years of sitting empty Brint Ryan, bought the building and began renovating it. Today, the Hotel Settles is restored to its former glory. Six floors of hotel rooms are finished and hosting travelers.
Elvis Presley appeared in concert at the Big Spring Municipal Auditorium on 26 Apr 1955 – the only time the King of Rock and Roll came to Big Spring.
The Auditorium, completed in 1932, with a seating capacity of 1412 became the center for cultural productions, both professional and local.
In 1950 this replica of the Statue of Liberty was given to the Boy Scouts of America by Mr. and Mrs. Tom Good, a pioneer ranch couple, in memory of their son Jake who passed away in 1928. The statue was placed on the lawn of the City Auditorium.
Joseph Potton (1847-1920), a native of England and a master mechanic for Texas & Pacific Railroad, built this Victorian residence in 1901. The house was constructed of Pecos sandstone with iron pillars and zinc gable decorations.